Diversity Visa Lottery 2021: what you need to know.
This visa lottery is held every year to provide 50,000 Permanent Resident Visas to citizens of countries with low immigration to the United States. The State Department recently published a document with all the instructions and rules that you must follow to make your application, you can see that document here
The process to enter the draw is considerably easy, but requires great attention to detail and, above all, awareness that it is an option that requires a waiting period and mostly depends on chance.
What do I need to know?
- The entries made during the months of October and November 2019 will be to qualify for entry visas for the year 2021. For immigration purposes the fiscal year 2021 starts on October 1st, 2020 and ends on September 30th, 2021.
- The registration process will take place exclusively on the website of the Department of State: www.dvlottery.state.gov
- Winners will be selected at random by computer.
- The application has no cost.
- There can only be one application per person (persons who submit more than one application will be disqualified). However, if you are married, you can fill out an application for each spouse, allowing you to have double chance.
- To be eligible you must have a high school education or its equivalent; or have worked two of the last five years in a job requiring at least two years of training.
- Once registered, applicants must print the page that contains your confirmation number and keep it in a safe place as you will need it later to check the status of your application.
- It is not necessary to pay someone to register for you, this process is very simple to complete.
As a policy to prevent fraud, the Department of State has decided not to directly notify the candidates who are selected. Instead, from May 5th, 2020, people registered for the lottery must enter their confirmation number and personal information on the web site www.dvlottery.state.gov to see the status of their application.
Winning the draw does not automatically guarantees a visa. You must prove your eligibility through documents, a consular interview or through an adjustment of status (in the case of those in the United States).
Tips to avoid fraud
The Department of State has issued a series of warnings about fraudulent Internet sites posing as the government or as counselors and consultants, who falsely promise to increase the chances of being selected, which is impossible to do.
You should know that:
- Some sites use flags and seals that appear to be official to mislead consumers. The only legitimate website is www.dvlottery.state.gov and is available only in English.
- The process is completely free and you should not pay anything up front.
- There is no pre-qualification questionnaire before applying.
- No one can guarantee a selection. The process is completely random.
- Being selected in the lottery does not guarantee a visa. You must show proof that you meet the necessary requirements.
Immigrating to the United States is an important decision with a great impact, so it is essential that you take all necessary precautions and have a structured plan to ensure that the changes are made in the easiest way possible.